Saturday, June 28, 2008

HD4850 and the continuous cooling conundrums...

And today, I bring ye... The HD4850, by Sapphire. Apart from the card running hot as a damn volcano, It's a beautiful thing that finally lets me play games stupidly fast.
Now all I need to do is Volt-mod them.

I did buy two, at the good ole Computer fair. $230 a pop too! Not a bad price at all.
The 2nd had a bad heatsink with a faulty fan - Took it off, put it to the hacksaw. (Stupid idea, huh?) Turns out the heatsinks aren't even copper. Tin, with copper plating. Horrible at transferring heat.
Nonetheless, it's a very good card for the money and I highly reccomend it. An extra $40 will get you some very decent aftermarket cooling that you can put on these pretties that will drop the temps from 80 to a cool 30.
Not to mention UT3 at 150 frames....

Nonetheless, I am indeed a very happy chappy. Anyhow, heres a picture of the beast in the nude :)
My current problem is the MOSFET's at the back - I really don't want to fork out for additional heatsinks :(

In further news, Diablo 3 has been announced! It looks VERY good. Male and female classes, a HOTBAR!? and more importantly, DESTROYABLE SURROUNDINGS?
Finally, this festival of pants-creaming was topped off by DECAPITATION EFFECTS. I HAVE NEVER WANTED TO PLAY A GAME MORE IN MY LIFE.
Anyway, maybe the caffiene is getting to me. I'd best let you all have a look here as well. Along with Starcraft 2, this should make my Christmas a very entertaining one indeed.

No comments: